Saturday, August 25, 2012

Ballerina

I have never seen a live ballet performance although it's one of those things I've wanted to do all my life. A lack of interested companions has been a drawback. Not everyone is so keen it seems.
Re-watching "The Red Shoes" (1948) has just reinforced my desire to see any ballet as soon as practicable. I will find a way!
This movie is simply beautiful. Moira Shearer plays ballerina Victoria Page, who joins a ballet company run by Boris Lermontov (Anton Walbrook) and eventually becomes their star performer.
Conflicts arise between her all consuming need to dance and her love for brilliant composer, Julian Craster (Marius Goring), with tragic results.
This movie was written, produced and directed by Michael Powell and Emeric Pressburger and the cinematography was by Jack Cardiff. This incredibly talented team was also responsible for "Black Narcissus"which I raved about a couple of weeks ago.
Robert Helpmann, who plays the lead male dancer in the Ballet Lermontov, choreographed the ballet in "The Red Shoes".
Stunning in every way.
















2 comments:

Elephant's Child said...

I love modern ballet, but am not as keen on the traditional women in tutus style. Incredible dedication and fitness needed for both though.

librarygirl said...

I will definitely go with you. I saw The Nutcracker in England a long time ago and it's not really my thing but I would like to see that or Swan Lake one day....