Sunday, November 24, 2013

Another quiet weekend

I knew I would want to read Donna Tartt's "The Goldfinch", the moment I knew it was due to be published this year. However, it was going to be difficult to justify reading a nearly-800-page book for pleasure when I'm supposed to be reading as many new books as possible in order to have a wide range of recommendations at hand when consulted by our customers at work. Then, by a stroke of luck, "The Goldfinch" happened to be a featured title in our shop's Christmas catalogue. All staff are instructed to read as many titles as possible in our catalogue, so there you go. I could have a guilt-free read after all. And I did. And I loved every minute of it.
It's taken a while, but by yesterday I was down to the last 300 pages, so I did nothing all day but read. Such an engrossing, beautifully written book.

In other book news, more new babies to find a spot for. It's always a lovely surprise to find out new cloth-bounds have been released.

As usual around these parts, it is raining, and rather cold too. Hard to believe summer is just a few days away.



Today will be another lazy day. I woke up really early (for a Sunday) to watch the "Doctor Who" 50th anniversary episode (so good, by the way), and now I'm feeling rather sleepy.
Some sort of mindless activity which doesn't require major brain function will probably be undertaken. Light housework perhaps?

3 comments:

Elephant's Child said...

Yet another positive review for The Goldfinch. Its place on my Christmas list is assured.

librarygirl said...

I watched it twice and then Graham Norton- Tennant with hair extensions!
Snap with The Goldfinch!

Anonymous said...

Stunning photos, yet again. I must read 'The Goldfinch' since two of my S-i-L's enjoyed it so much. Might be my Christmas reading, as have a couple on the go. Both gifts from G. Michelle De Kretser's 'Questions of Travel' and Jonas Jonasson's 'The Hundred-Year-Old Man Who Climbed Out of the Window and Disappeared' (not started yet). Nothing like an absorbing read. N x