Wednesday, October 31, 2012

Spooky

We don't really observe Halloween around here although there are usually a couple of trick or treaters at the door during the evening. I was wearing my haunted house pyjama pants this morning if that counts as getting into the spirit of the occasion but then again I've worn them fairly continuously for months now.
 I love them. So soft and comfy.


                                                                             *** 



Today, I purchased a new book. I'm not supposed to be buying anything unless it relates to the festive occasion which will be taking place in just under eight weeks time.
However, I have every other Penguin Clothbound Classic ever published so it was really a matter of necessity - so I keep telling myself.
I'm fast running out of room on the shelf which houses them all.




While on the subject of books, I wanted to quickly mention "The Twelve" - Justin Cronin's sequel to "The Passage"
As with it's predecessor, I couldn't put this book down and read non-stop for a few days. Despite its addictive nature, I do have to admit that I was just slightly disappointed. I found it to be a bit disjointed - way too much flitting back and forth between various groups of characters (and there are a lot of characters in these books) - whereas "The Passage" was divided neatly into three distinct parts. Almost every chapter in "The Twelve" ended with a cliffhanger which would not be addressed again for several more chapters.
Perhaps my expectations were simply set too high or maybe it's just that the middle book of a trilogy often tends to be the weakest entry.
In regards to the plot, I found it interesting that the worst atrocities in "The Twelve" were perpetrated by humans rather than virals. There are some really despicable people in this book.
Despite having a couple of issues, it was still a great read and I will be eagerly awaiting the third book which is due for publication in 2014.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I made halloween inspired chocolate crackles! That was my halloween!

C xo