Thursday, May 17, 2012

Elegance

Movie-watching presently on hiatus while I'm enjoying "Downton Abbey". I saw the first couple of episodes when it aired on TV last year, but was soon fed up with watching it on a commercial TV station. Although we recorded subsequent episodes, I never got around to watching them and now series two is about to begin, so I thought I'd better catch up. Fortunately, C gave me the DVD for Christmas. I am loving it.
So beautifully produced and wonderfully acted. There's not a dull character amongst the entire cast and you either adore or absolutely loathe each one.
I've concluded that I really need to watch this twice - the first time for the storyline and excellent dialogue and especially for the witticisms of the Dowager Duchess of Grantham (Maggie Smith).
A second viewing would be to simply admire the gorgeous, intricately designed costumes.

 Beautiful.

Of course, no period drama is complete without a little romance. The gentle relationship between Bates the valet and Anna the head housemaid is just lovely.
I'll be sorry when I've finished this. I can feel a need to rewatch the BBC production of "Pride and Prejudice" coming on.


No comments: