Saturday, April 14, 2012

Supanova

Today, most of the family attended the above event as we have done for the past couple of years. It's a great opportunity to see sci-fi TV and movie related celebrities - to listen to them talk about their craft and to obtain autographs and photos. Yes, we are nerds and proud of it.
This year there were stars from the Harry Potter and Twilight movies, and from TV shows such as Firefly, Stargate, Walking Dead and (my favourite) Battlestar Galactica.
These celebrities are always so warm and friendly and normal. The talks or "panels" they conduct are usually great fun and full of interesting information about the various productions they have been associated with.
The main attraction for me today was Edward James Olmos. I have been a fan since the 80's and his days in the TV series "Miami Vice". He also gave impressive performances in "Blade Runner" and "Stand and Deliver".
In Miami Vice

and in Blade Runner.


And then came Battlestar Galactica which is right at the top of my list of all-time favourite TV shows ever. (I will always be torn about the number one and two favourites on this list, but I won't get into that now.) 
I was thrilled to briefly speak to the very charismatic Mr Olmos while he autographed a photo for me.
Earlier, we attended his talk which was very entertaining and informative. He definitely knows how to engage an audience.


Although this is an enjoyable day, we do spend a lot of time standing in lines waiting. Poor E seemed to do this more than anyone else today. She didn't even get to hear any of the celebrity talks as she was forever waiting in seemingly neverending queues. Her patience was finally rewarded however, when she had her photo taken with James and Oliver Phelps.(Fred and George Weasley of Harry Potter fame)
After a long long wait in another line to buy food and drinks, we sat outside in the sunshine and enjoyed the sights.

 
We saw some pretty outrageous costumes. These were fairly simple compared to the effort some people went to.

 
Finally, time to go, after a very tiring day.

 The young ones, being young and energetic, are all occupied this evening. C and E were having dinner at C's place then E was meeting friends and going to a concert. J has gone to a party. Z didn't go with us ( not her thing) but she is out at a friend's house tonight.
I'm too tired to move. I wonder if I should just pull a throw-rug over me and sleep where I am (on the couch). So tempting...
  

2 comments:

Elephant's Child said...

I had never even heard of this. And, judging by your photos, people watching would have been such a treat. Thanks.

shadygrey said...

Oh I am so jealous. And stupid me, I never put together Commander Odama/Gaff. Thanks for that connection; very satisfying.