Thursday, January 5, 2012

New York State of Mind*

C and E's long-planned United States trip was booked by the beginning of 2011. They would spend a week in New York, travel around a bit on their own, then go on a Contiki tour of the west coast.
They asked me to come with them for the New York part.
I procrastinated about this for ages, coming up with endless reasons why I shouldn't go - e.g. the expense, how husband would cope by himself at home ( J was in Europe and, if I went anywhere, Z was coming with me), would our cats survive in my absence, did I mention the expense?
Also, I had never in my life set foot in an aeroplane. How would I cope with a 19 hour flight? What if I hated flying? There's no way out when you're 40,000 feet in the air.
Anyway, in the end it came down to the fact that this was one of those "once in a lifetime" opportunities that I just couldn't pass up. I decided to go to New York and I still can't quite believe that I did.
          To be continued......


                

* E put all her holiday photos into separate folders on Facebook while she was overseas. Each folder was named after a song about New York. I'm stealing her idea here.

2 comments:

Elephant's Child said...

I hate. loathe and detest flying. Sometimes it is worth it though. I really, really hope it was for you.

Amanda Lee said...

Sorry, to hear that you've had unhappy flying experiences! Shall talk about mine in the next New York post.